Friday, July 15, 2016

{Mixed Media Tutorial} For the Birds by Amy



Good morning crafty friends, Amy here, and I’m super excited to be sharing my first tutorial post with y’all! I got a new mini journal binder, so I cut down some Mixed Media paper to 6.5x5 inches. Here’s my first page.



I started by applying blocks of color to my page using Dylusions paints with a blending tool.



Then using the Some Birds stencil, I applied red paint using only the small birds portion.



Then using the 2 bird masks from the Some Birds stencil, I went around the masks with black gesso to get full coverage. I rinsed off the masks and then flipped them over and did the same technique. Isn’t that cool? I love how the birds now “POP” against the black.



I outlined the birds in black and then in white Pitt markers and then  stamped the coordinating bird stamps from Trendy Birds 2 . I used archival black ink on the top right and white pigment ink on the bottom right bird. I then added some texture and color to the black with some chalk inks and birds from Trendy Birds 2 and Art Marks.



All that's left to do is hole punch and insert into my new binder. :o)

I have never done this technique before but love the vibrancy of the colors against the black, so think it’s something I would try again.







 I sure hope I’ve inspired you to get crafty today and hope you’ll join me again next time.

Products used:
http://stamplorations.auctivacommerce.com/Some-Birds-ARTplorations-Stencil-P5301934.aspx http://stamplorations.auctivacommerce.com/Trendy-Birds-2-Shery-Russ-Designs-P5617747.aspx http://stamplorations.auctivacommerce.com/Art-Marks-Shery-Russ-Designs-P5529936.aspx

Others: Dylusions Paint (Calypso Teal, Squeezed Orange, Bubblegum Pink, Crushed Grape & Postbox Red), Black Gesso, Jet Black Archival Ink, White Pigment Ink, Chalk Inks (yellow, blue, green & pink), White and Black Pitt Pens.

4 comments:

  1. Such a fabulous project. Yes the birds certainly pop against the black. Will be giving this technique a go and thank you for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool technique, Amy! I love Some Birds and the coordinating stamps. I can't wait to try this myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ladies, I had a lot of fun with this one and am so happy I inspired you to give this technique a try. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, love your birds - they are so eye-poppingly bright!!!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)